There are many potential mistakes that small businesses can make when it comes to web design. Some common ones include:
- Not having a clear and concise value proposition: It’s important to immediately let visitors know what your business does and why they should care.
- Lack of mobile optimisation: With more and more people using smartphones to browse the web, it’s essential that your website is mobile-friendly. Careful consideration should be taken when designing your website for mobiles and tablets, not everything may fit how you would expect. Always test how your website looks on various different screen sizes.
- Poor navigation: If visitors can’t easily find what they’re looking for on your website, they’re likely to leave. Make sure your navigation is clear and intuitive along with the right choice of colours, this will make the navigation easy to read for the user. Hover over options should also be considered, you don’t want sections of your website navigation to go missing when hovering over links.
- Using too many pop-ups: Pop-ups can be annoying and can make visitors more likely to leave your site. Especially those that are difficult to locate the cross to close them down. Use them sparingly and only when necessary.
- Not having a clear call-to-action: Your website should always have a clear call-to-action, such as “contact us” or “buy now”, to guide visitors towards the next step you want them to take. Try not to have them mixed into busy sections of the website where the user may not notice them. Use colours which will separate them from the text or any near by images.
- Not regularly updating content: If your website has outdated information, it can make your business appear unprofessional. It may also look like as if the business is no longer in operation. Make sure to regularly update your content to keep it fresh and accurate.
- Not using search engine optimisation (SEO): SEO can help improve your website’s visibility on search engines like Google, making it more likely that people will find your site when they search for relevant terms. Small businesses often over look the importance of SEO, but the reality is investing in SEO is one of the main reasons that can help boost vistors to your site and ultimately help in crease sales.
- Not using high-quality images: Poor-quality images can make your website look unprofessional and can turn visitors away. Use high-resolution, professional-looking images to make a good impression. The best images are always those that are of your own work and not stock images. Only use stock images as a stop gap un till you have your own high quality images.
In general, it’s important to make sure your website is professional, easy to use, and provides value to visitors. By avoiding these common mistakes, you can improve your website’s effectiveness and help grow your small business.
Create Summit are Web Design experts located in Coventry, who will ensure the above mistakes are avoided. Contact them today for a free quote and see how they can help transform your business.